Bicycle Helmet Program
Every bike ride should start by putting on a helmet. Our program provides bicycle helmets for as low as $5 to Boston residents, health centers, and other local agencies. In addition, we educate communities on bicycle safety and partner with health centers, public schools, and other local organizations to organize bicycle safetyevents for the public.
If you're interested in placing an order, please complete and return our Bicycle Helmet Request Form, also found below. If you have any questions about our bike helmet program, please contact us at 617-534-5197.
Click here for our Bicycle Helmet Request Form
Bicycling Rules of the Road
- Massachusetts law requires any person under 17 years old to wear a helmet while riding a bicycle, a skateboard, a scooter, or in-line skating.
- Cyclists should be restricted to sidewalks until they reach 10 years old and can demonstrate they know the rules of the road.
- Ride with traffic, not against it. Ride as far to the right as possible.
- Use appropriate hand signals.
- Respect traffic signals. Stop at all stop signs and red lights.
- Stop and look left, right and left again before entering a street.
- Look back and yield to traffic coming from behind before turning left at intersections.
- Avoid riding when it’s dark and during rush hour if possible,
- Wear reflective material on clothing or bike, and use lights on the bike.