Small, commonly immigrant-owned businesses often face barriers to environmental and occupational health compliance and may be a source of neighborhood pollution complaints. The Safe Shops Program is a program model that provides outreach to auto shops and nail salons in Boston, to promote healthy and safe work practices for employees, customers, neighbors, and the environment. The model incorporates enforcement inspection findings, worker training, technical assistance, and referral to health care and business resources to promote environmental leadership.
Safe Shops' staff provides training, education, and other resources to help these businesses use best practices for worker and environmental health and safety. Some of the issues addressed include
- air emissions of toxic solvents
- workers' contact with hazardous chemicals
- storage of flammable chemicals and solid waste storage/disposal
- spills and soil/groundwater contamination
- injury risks for workers
- personal protective equipment
- environmentally friendly practices
- regulatory compliance (for nail salons)
For more information about our work, please visit the auto shops and nail salons pages or call 617-534-5965.